Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chapter Five: Script Formatting

Although scripting is generally used near the end of project planning, if at all, Chapter Five deals primarily with this topic. The chapter shows many forms, in which a project can be scripted depending upon the amount of interactivity involved: Single Column, Double Column, Three Column with Narration, etc. What I gained most from the chapter is the importance of a good outline and flowchart. So long as the client and production team can understand the information and navigation, it does not matter how the information is given to them. I want to check out a program mentioned in Chapter Five: StoryView. The chapter says StoryView is a visual outliner for writers that lets them create and organize ideas. Sounds interesting.

3 comments:

  1. I guess that it's the same as linear writing--a well-organized outline can only improve the final project. I should learn that lesson after all of these years, but I still end up doing most of my writing without much of an outline--just the one in my head. It definitely helps to get it on paper so you can visualize it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the overall layout of a project is very crucial to it's successful development. In the entertainment industry we call it Pre-Production and it's very intense. The whole flowchart thing, is still a process for me to really do before I fully understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought of you too, rob, when i came across the story view element because of your creative writing background. are you more into fiction, nonfiction, or poetry? i wasn't so sure.

    yes, chapter 5 has lots of info and script-writing goes into descriptive details of the site. unless some of you will incorporate a bit of narration in your delivery of info [as in a documentary], you might simply want to stick with a single-column format. have chapter 5 ready, though, for future projects when you find yourself in the real world of workplace writing (?)...

    keep blogging,
    florence

    ReplyDelete