Thursday, February 25, 2010
Chapter 15: Training
Nothing is more boring than watching training tutorials. The case study of Vital Signs reminded me of that. I do like self-paced rather than live, not for the entertainment value, but so I can finish them quicker. Vital Signs tried to use humor to keep the users attention, but I like the idea of creating a story or game the user can play to learn information. Traditional computer-based training seems difficult to make entertaining. And as the book mentioned previously, if you cannot keep the user's attention, even the best information becomes useless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Once again, I agree with your sentiment. I do think that these things are harder to make intersting, than it would seem. I have had to watch countless training videos and none of them taught me anything useful. I, too enjoy learning at my own pace, that is how I went through high school...self-paced, but these seem very dry.
ReplyDeletemust be quite a challenge for the writer to catch the learner's attention nowadays as a variety of pedagogical tools are available to choose from! =) i cannot agree with you more about getting (AND HOLDING) the audience's interest to achieve the goals of the site.
ReplyDeleteon the other hand, i personally like this training module. as an educator (doing sporadic training workshops in the summer for various composition skills), i like the multiplicity of factors considered by this module -- from the different cognitive background of its users to their linguistic competence. for instance, ESL learners would find it useful to repeat key information whenever they like, those with enough scientific background can skip some basic concepts, etc...