Thursday, January 14, 2010

Technology/Literacy Autobiography

I first learned how to use computers when I was in junior high school, if you can imagine that. I had a programming class. We used these huge cards to write commands; I believe the system was called FORTRAN. Later, my parents purchased an Atari computer video game. We spent countless hours playing pong. My first experience with contemporary computers was about fifteen years ago when I purchased estimating software for a collision repair shop that I owned. This software enabled my estimators to assess damage on vehicles quickly. An estimate that would take an hour to write could now be completed in ten minutes. What a time saver!

My first experience with the internet was around fifteen years ago also. I learned to upload photos of vehicle damage to insurance companies to save them the trouble of sending an adjuster to my shop.

I avoided social networks for a long time. I have never been on MySpace or Twitter. About a year ago, a friend set up a page on Facebook for our triathlon club. To access the page, I needed to create my own account. I did. I found Facebook very addicting, spending perhaps an hour a day on the site. Luckily, the effect wore off and now I only access my account periodically.

I think supplementary online support can help me with this course as much information is available on any topic. This is the main advantage. The disadvantage, of course, is that anyone can post anything. There is no review process for much of the information on the internet. To limit this disadvantage, I must visit several sites to verify the information I obtain.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Rob. Your bit about the Atari, brought back memories of my brother, playing all those games...funny, even then, I was not into it. I agree that several different applications on the web can be addicting, but for me, television eats up far more of my time. Moderation is key to life, in my opinion, and that seems to get harder and harder in our modern world. Should be an useful and meaningful class.

    ReplyDelete