Monday, January 18, 2010
Chapter One: Interactivity and the Writer
I read the chapter twice, and I still only understood half the information. I guess it will take some time to get used to the terminology such as recognizing the difference between "multimedia," "interactive multimedia," and "interactive media." I am used to linear communication, so that is what I enjoy. Although I use interactive media to access information on the internet, I've never heard of most of the video games and interactive websites the author mentioned. I hope future chapters focus on information sites such as the T. Rowe Price example and not games or game sites such as Half Life 2.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know exactly what you mean, Rob. This was one of those reading assignments that I had to have complete concentration to read, and even then, I had to reread some sections. Hopefully it will get easier as we become more familiar with the subject.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree, Rob. I kept wondering why on earth they couldn't come up with dissimilar terms; they all seemed the same and yet, still made no clear sense. I hope by the time we have to do our group presentations, this all becomes much clearer.
ReplyDeletei know what you guys meant. =(
ReplyDeletethere are far more terminologies that might even be more confusing but hopefully we can discuss these during our face-to-face class interaction. the way i see it, although the terms you mentioned rob are loosely related, garrand would refer to multimedia as the combination of print, audio, video, etc. in a production/website while any 'interactive' terminologies peppered throughout the chapters would refer to the user's control of accessing content, making meaning, and so forth.
and yes, we are not dealing with any narrative production (such as video games) this semester. so just ignore some of the narrative examples mentioned in the next few chapters.