Sunday, April 25, 2010
Chapter 26: Conclusion
I like this chapter because it was "to the point" and short. :) In another class, I did some research about contract vs. permanent technical writers. The contract writers made about double the money as permanent writers. Of course, contract writers need to provide their own benefits and matching taxes. The down side to contracting is that you have to sell yourself over and over--not just one time to one company. But if you enjoy job hunting and applying, contract work has financial advantages (not to mention freedom). I also liked that the author stressed that writing skills are as important as a knowledge of the web and multimedia. I'm baffled though. In the college degree section, I saw universities like USC and MIT listed, but no DSC. What's up with that???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What is up with that? You made some great points, Rob. I suppose that one equalizer between contract and permanent writing jobs is that contract writers would spend a lot of their time (at least at first) finding jobs. That is time for which they are not paid.
ReplyDeleteHaha. I liked that it said look for your local college's communication or computer departments...that's been my point all along. 'Nuf said. I was a very satisfied freelancer in my previous field and it does have much bigger payouts and of course, much bigger risk. It's definitely not for everybody.
ReplyDeletei said i won't comment. i guess i lied. =(
ReplyDeletesad but true. for sure, our program, as well as the college, needs more growth in terms of professional dev't and logistics in order to be fully recognized.