Thursday, March 4, 2010
Chapter 14: Museum Kiosk
I enjoyed this chapter and the presentation Paul's group gave. The two points I particularly liked are (1) target audience and (2) interactivity. The target audience is difficult to address with kiosks. First, you have to address the main group the kiosk is targeting (as with all other multimedia and web writing), but with kiosk scripts, you also have to address a diverse audience. You never know who will access the information. I think interactivity is also important. Again, with any multimedia and web writing, you have to make the information interesting. If not, you'll lose your user quickly. The chapter mentions that a program has about five seconds to capture a user. The case study of the Nauticus Shibuilding Company is a good example of writing for a diverse audience (they made the program easy enough for most anyone to use) and using interactivity to capture the user.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that it's interesting that they changed the program from the initial concept because they didn't think that a small child could draw a good enough ship to work with their CAD system. So the end product was interesting enough for an adult audience but simple enough for a child. Definitely a diverse audience.
ReplyDelete